Part I Essay Questions
In order to make sure that you write an accurate, specific, and relevant response to the topics provided, I am giving you the 3 questions in advance. You are expected to be able to answer all 3 questions, but you will only be asked 1. The essay must be between 3 and 5 paragraphs. Good luck!!!
- Discuss how Odysseus' heroic and human qualities are illustrated throughout Part I of the Odyssey. Be sure to include examples of how Odysseus acts wisely (heroic) and foolishly (human) in your answer to help support your argument.
- Discuss why the ancient Greeks considered the Cyclopes to be monsters. In your essay, contrast the two societies, provide examples of the major differences and why these differences make the Cyclopes monstrous to the Greeks.
- Discuss how Homer represents the power of cunning over physical strength in part I of the Odyssey. Your answer should include specific examples of what Homer uses to help represent the two qualities and how the relationship to between the two plays out in the adventure.
Part II Essay Questions
- How does each of the adventures in Part II challenge the relationship between Odysseus and his men? In your response, be sure to provide examples of the actions Odysseus and his men take that affect the relationship and how the relationship develops and/or changes by the end of Part II.
- How can Eurylochus be considered a character foil to Odysseus and what lesson is Homer trying to teach is audience from this? In your discussion, compare the two characters as leaders and the consequences of the men with each of them leading.
- Is Zeus or Odysseus responsible for Odysseus' survival and ultimate fate? In your response, choose one of the characters, and using examples from the story, explain how their actions affect the fate of Odysseus.